History of Institute
The new antibiotics research institute was created in 1953 on base of the Antibiotic laboratory of Academy of Medicine Sciences of USSR. It was organized by professor G.F. Gause, one of pioneers in antibiotic researches. In 1942 G.F. Gause and M.G. Brazhnikova discovered the first original antibiotic in our country - gramicidin S (Soviet), which was adopted in medical practice and used for wound infections treatment and prevention during the World War 2. Gramicidin is also been now produced by Russian medicine industry. In 1954 - 1959 the Institute was led by Dr. biol. S.D. Yudintsev. Between 1960 and 1986 the head of the Institute was academician G.F. Gause, and from 1987 till 2003 - his follower - corresponding member of the Academy of Medicine Sciences Y.V. Dudnik. A conciderable contribution into the Institute work is been made by T.P. Preobrazhenskaya, M.G. Brazhnikova, V.A. Shorin etc. From 2003 till 2007 the Honored Scientist of Russian Federation, Doctor of chemistry, professor M.N. Preobrazhenskaya had been the executive director of the Institute, who also had led the laboratory of antibiotic chemical transformation.
On February, 27th, 2007 Doctor of biology, professor A.A. Firsov, the head of the laboratory of pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics, who had been from 2004 till 2007 a deputy director for science work of the new antibiotics research institute, became the director of the institute.
During new antibiotic researches at the institute following antibacterial antibiotics were produced on base of original strain-producers and implemented into medical practice - gramicidin S, colimycin (neomycin), monomycin, ristomycin, kanamycin, lincomycin, heliomycin, as well examples of almost all most important groups of antineoplastic antibiotics, which are used in world oncologic practice: olivomycin, rufocromomycin (streptonygrin), rubomycinum (daunorubicin), carminomycinum and bleomycitin (bleomycine А-5). Also a semi-synthetic antibiotic doxorubicine was created.