Gause Institute of New Antibiotics (GINA)
The institute consists of seven scientific laboratories and two sectors, it also has a scientific library, vivarium, technical service and some auxiliary scientific departments. The common staff of the institute consists of 147 employees, among them are 74 scientists, including 10 doctor habil, 33 doctors and 89 employees with higher education (biology, chemistry, medicine, veterinary sciense) and special secondary education . The institute trains scientific manpower - doctors on following branches: "Chemotherapy and antibiotics", "Bioorganic chemistry ", "Microbiology", "Biotechnology". Conferences of young specialists, science workshops and colloquiums are held at the Institute regularly.
The Institute has almost all departments, which are necessary for new antibiotics discovery and pre-clinical research. They have following tasks:
- Search and research of new antibacterial, antitumoral and antivirus antibiotics, including HIV-inhibitors, immunologic response modifiers, cholesterol biosynthesis inhibitors and other biologic active compounds.
- Actinomycetes taxonomy researches, including research of producers of antibiotics and other biologic active compounds, which are an important element of research work.
- Development of new methods for the most complete microbe diversity detection and segregation from natural inhabitation of rare actinomycetes, an important source of new biological active substances, which haven\'t been cultivated yet.
- Physiological and biochemistry researches of strain producers to elaborate optimal conditions of their cultivation.
- Genetic and selection researches to create high-productive microorganisms strains - antibiotic producers.
- Detection, identification and research of new antibiotics structure, which are promising for medical practice.
- Elaboration of natural antibiotics and similar compounds chemical transformation and production of new semi-synthetic derivatives, which are active against persistent bacterial and tumourous cells.
- Research of new natural and semi-synthetic antibiotics action process.
- Preclinical researches of the efficiency and safety of anti-tumoral or antimicrobial antibiotics and biological active substances of different nature.
- Preclinical and clinical researches of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of antibiotics and other medicinal agents.
All these departments have saved their main staff and work now.